We have mostly seen Shiva wearing the Rudraksha, but we are unaware of origin of Rudraksha or benefits of Rudraksha. Rudraksha is mainly found in Himalayan regions.Word Rudraksha is derived from 2 words: Rudra and Aksha. Rudra is another name for Shiva, and Aksha means tear drops. Once Rudra was performing penance for thousands of years and Rudra’s mind was in flutter. For desire to help the world, when Rudra opened his eyes after performing penance for thousands of years, drops of tears fell from Rudra’s eyes. From these tears, there grow giant Rudraksha’s tree. After that Rudrakshas were grown in different part of the world.
In order to bless the devotees; Rudraksha was given to four different castes (varna); white Rudrakshas were given to Brahmin, red Rudrakshas were given to Kshatriya; yellow Rudrakshas were given to Vaishya and black Rudrakshas were given to sudra.
Benefits of Rudraksha
Different sizes of Rudrakshas has different benefits; Rudrakshas have been worn and used for meditation, japa mantra, and pujas/fire ceremonies for many centuries. Asian Yogis and Monks found that merely wearing the Rudraksha beads gave them astonishingly tremendous amount of tranquility, concentration that helped them meditate for a long period of time with spectacular control over their mind. Buddha wore Rudraksha beads, along with the Dalai Lama, Gandhi, and many enlightened Indian yogis.
Rudrakshas in the size of jujube brings tons of happiness and good fortune. Rudrakshas in the size of berry is conducive to the achievement of all desires. Lighter the Rudrakshas, the more fruitful it is.
Also Read: Who is greater from Vishnu and Shiv?
Medicinally they are known to: heal many of the mind & body ailments, be cooling when worn against the skin, reduce heart disease and lower blood pressure, increase mental clarity, memory & general awareness, calm the central nervous system, quiet the mind & free one from negative thoughts, increase immunity, energy & stamina, and rejuvenate the entire mind & body.
Why Wear Rudraksha?
The wearing of the Rudraksha is recommended for the sake of destroying sins. Devotees wearing Rudraksha shall refrain from eating onion, garlic, meat and liquors. The individual who wears the Rudraksha with devotion is like Rudra himself. If man with devotion drinks then Rudra drinks. One who feels shame in wearing this divine Rudraksha can never be free from cycle of death and birth even after taking millions of birth. Person who criticizes Rudraksha wearer is sinner. No pleasure is greater in this world then wearing the Rudraksha.
Protects you from Negativity
Rudraksha works as a shield towards a negative energy. Rudraksha has a way to tell us if there is negative energy around you. For example, to check if water is drinkable, you can hold Rudraksha on the top of the water, and if water is drinkable, Rudraksha will rotate in clock-wise, if water is posined, Rudraksha will rotate in counter-clockwise. Similarly, you can also use Rudraksha to check quality of food.
Ek mukhi, panchmukhi Rudrakshas and benefits of each Rudrakshas
There are as many as 21 different faces of Rudraksha and each one is used for different purpose, but it is highly important to wear the correct mukhi Rudraksha based on the cause, wearing the wrong type could disturb one’s life. All 21 Rudraksha has deity assigned to it; but Rudraksha originated from Rudra(Shiv), so Rudraksha wearer is wearing Rudraksha to please Rudra.
- 1 Mukhi Rudraksha: 1 mukhi Rudrakshas are very rare and only people blessed by Shiva gets to wear it. Wearing 1 mukhi Rudraksha bring self consciousness for supreme deity.
- 2 Mukhi Rudraksha: 2 mukhi Rudrakshas symbolizes unity; unity in guru-shishya, parents-children or Hushband-wife relationship. 2 Mukhi Rudraksha removes emotional instability, releases fear, insecurity and gives inner happiness.
- 3 Mukhi Rudraksha: Wearing 3 mukhi Rudraksha releases person from any past birth bondage. The wearer doesn’t fall in cycle of births. 3 Mukhi Rudraksha is also useful to heal stomach and liver aliments.
- 4 Mukhri Rudraksha: 4 Mukhi Rudraksha is beneficial person seeking knowledge. It also improves mental power, vocal power and intelligence.
- 5 Mukhi Rudraksha: 5 Mukhi Rudraksha removes negative energy and uplifts the wearer. 5 Mukhi Rudraksha is mostly used while chanting mantras as it helps them to connect with Shiva.
- 6 Mukhi Rudraksha: 6 Mukhi Rudraksha bring stability in life, increase willpower. The wearer is also blessed with luck for properties and vehicles.
- 7 Mukhi Rudraksha: 7 Mukhi Rudraksha wearer are ambitious and achieve name, fame. It is also beneficial for people that are facing financial difficulties.
- 8 Mukhi Rudraksha: 8 Mukhi Rudraksha eliminates obstacles, wearer is blessed with knowledge, wisdom and wealth.
- 9 Mukhi Rudraksha: 9 Mukhi Rudraksha brings energy and power in person.
- 10 Mukhi Rudraksha: 10 Mukhi Rudraksha shields wearer from negative energies. It is also worn to bring success in work life.
- 11 Mukhi Rudraksha: 11 Mukhi Rudraksha wearer gets benefits of 1000 Ashavamedh Yagya; it brings right judgement, awareness and control over senses. Wearer becomes fearlessness.
- 12 Mukhi Rudraksha: 12 Mukhi Rudraksha wearer gets quality of the sun. 12 Mukhi Rudraksha is recommended for leader. Leader rules with brilliance, radiance and power.
- 13 Mukhi Rudraksha: 13 Mukhi Rudraksha is good for person who wants worldly pleasure.
- 14 Mukhi Rudraksha: 14 Mukhi Rudraksha wearer gets quality of Hanuman: strength, wisdom and strong willpower.
- 15 Mukhi Rudraksha: 15 Mukhi Rudraksha wearer is freed from grief, depression and loneliness; it also known to heal the heart chakra.
- 16 Mukhi Rudraksha: 16 Mukhi Rudraksha has power to cure diseases, release fear and insecurities. It also protects wearer from negative energy and negative persons. Wearing 16 Mukhi Rudraksha is equaivalent to chanting Mahamritunjaya mantra 125,000 times a day.
- 17 Mukhi Rudraksha: 17 Mukhi Rudraksha brings 4 fruits (Artha, Dharma, Kama and Moksha). It is beneficial for people who is seeking career growth and luck. 17 Mukhi Rudraksha wearer also good life partner.
- 18 Mukhi Rudraksha: 18 Mukhi Rudraksha wearer is blessed with good health, intelligence and prosperity.
- 19 Mukhi Rudraksha: 19 Mukhi Rudraksha wearer gets all desired things in life. It is meant to attract perfect life partner.
- 20 Mukhi Rudraksha: 20 Mukhi Rudraksha is beneficial for those who wants benefits for humanity. Wearer of 20 Mukhi Rudraksha is also beneficial person seeking divine knowledge in creation, science, arts and music.
- 21 Mukhi Rudraksha: 21 Mukhi Rudraksha is rarest among all Rudrakshas and is ruled by Kubera, the lord of wealth; thus wearing 21 Mukhi Rudraksha brings wealth in life.
Shiv Puran, Vidhveshwar Samhita, Chapter 29.